Children of the Dawn is a Non-Profit Organisation working to support and strengthen rural community initiatives which focus on caring for HIV/AIDS orphans and vulnerable children in South Africa.
We want to see a just, non-discriminatory and sustainable approach to rural community development, in which everybody enjoys the right to a life of dignity, and freedom from poverty and oppression. So we work to achieve food security, overall wellness, access to opportunity, and to eradicate poverty.
Our strategy is to generate a momentum of holistic, social, educational, economic and environmental justice, driven by community initiatives targeted at children and youth aged 6-24 Years old.
In practice, this means working closely with community initiatives, social movements and supporters. Together, we deliver grassroots programmes, provide emergency relief and campaign for rural community development.
Our work falls into 5 pillars aiming at creating equal development opportunities for our beneficiaries through 25 open day centres:
- Our CARE programme: each of our beneficiaries receives on-going nutrition support, schooling support, household goods support, administrative support, emotional and trauma counselling, access to safe places, and leisure and sports activities.
- Our Children in Action Programme designed for children aged 5 to 13 gives our young beneficiaries the chance to access stimulating, fun and educational activities.
- My Future, My Responsibility is our guidance and mentoring programme targeting teenagers aged 14 and older. Through a variety of modules, we create experiential learning experiences on which our teens can build themselves and get the tools to make position-life decisions.
- For our beneficiaries who are in tertiary or technical institutions, we offer on-going Student Mentorship and Financial Assistance.
- Cutting all our age groups and communities, we promote wellbeing and positive life values through sport via our Sport for Good programme which includes original codes such as Street Soccer, Rope-Skipping, Hiking, Frontball and Extreme Sports Camps.
Who We Are
Children of the Dawn was founded as a Non-Profit Organisation in 2002. Our head office is in Johannesburg, South Africa. Our programme extends to 9 rural communities namely Bushbuckridge, Mangweni, Ermelo (Mpumalanga), Mathabatha, Lenyenye, Musina (Limpopo), Lenyenye (Free State Province), Matatiele (Eastern Cape) and Mpumaze (KwaZulu Natal). We currently have 830 registered children and 200 children in the Musina Initiative with a total of 1030 children in our care.
We believe in the power of rural community initiatives. If we can support rural community initiatives to recognize, claim and access their rights and opportunities.
Children of the Dawn has a footprint in both rural locations in five provinces across the country. Rural poverty remains a key focus of our work, with a commitment to deepen the impact of our programmes and show real change in the lives of communities. We focus on rural development with nine existing rural programmes in which we have been working for many years.
Our Vision & Mission
Our mission is to make sure all young people and children get all the support they need, when they need it, no matter what it is.
Whether it is a reassuring conversation, financial help, education, professional training, or simply the assurance that they are not alone, we will make sure that everyone gets support that meets them where they’re at as quickly as possible.
We want to build a world where no child or youth feels alone and gets every possible help they need as soon as possible.
Our entire team wants to see a world where every youngster struggling in any way feels able to reach out and has people who’ll help them with education, jobs, and more. We want to spread out in every region so we’ll be reachable to all.